Classic French Toast Recipe
- 6 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups of cream, or milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 6 slices (1-inch-thick) bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Place bread in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold bread slices in a single layer. Pour egg mixture over bread; soak for 10 minutes. Turn slices over; soak until soaked through, about 10 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry half the bread slices until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to wire rack; place in oven while cooking remaining bread. Wipe skillet, and repeat with remaining butter, oil, and bread.
- Keep in oven until ready to serve. Serve warm with pure maple syrup, if desired.